16 Jan 2014

Unprofessional Writing Advice

  

     There are rules when your a Writer. Rules that I broke, every single one before I even knew they existed. Most of these aren't written down, but seem to be common knowledge. Some of them have to be learned by trial and error.
     Which means you have to write, really write to learn them. Then there are some that I found that can't be taught. I used to not believe that. I used to think thanks to an exorbitant amount of Disney shows. That with hard work and practice you can learn and do anything.
     This is true in most regards, but in all truth everyone is born with some natural abilities. For example I love to sing, but I don't have a naturally good voice. Even if I take lessons, I might become a good singer. I would never be exceptional because it's not my gift.
     That doesn't mean I should never sing, because I love to sing. It just means that I shouldn't waste my time trying to become a famous singer. I should try to find my God gifted talent and put it to use glorifying him. Okay sorry for rambling back to these unwritten rules.

  1. Write what you know. This one is common, and there is truth to it. If you're going to write a historical novel research it make it realistic. However when I started  my first book a fantasy, I chose an eighteen year old boy as my protagonist. I was an insecure twelve year old girl, talk about writing what you don't know. I say you can break this one.
  2.  Avoid cliches. I learned this one by entering a writing contest one were you have to pay an entry fee. This applies to more than just cliched phrases. It applies to characters, and plot. Don't have the mean girl be rich. Don't have the hero come in at the last second. Blah, blah, you get the point. Avoid these they never help you.
  3. Grammar Matters I broke every single grammar rule. This is something you can learn and fix, and learn again I did. I still am.
  4. Showing not Telling. The editor I hired said I did well in this area and that it is something that is extremely hard to teach. She could have been lying. Things like this are something that might have to come naturally.
  5. Bad Character=Bad Writing. If you feel like your character is unbelievable and one dimensional. Your reader will too, and that's your fault.
  6. Write what you want to write.  I can't stress this enough, don't write something because that's what your friend likes or not write something because your mom won't. I'm not talking anything bad here that's a whole different problem. My mom dislikes fantasy, she is still supportive. Write for you.
  7. Narrative Style a.k.a How you tell the Story. When I started I didn't know what a P.O.V was. I didn't know anything I just wrote down the story that I wanted to tell. Narrative style was something I never had to try with it just flowed. This can be taught, I think.

       I lied most of these are written in the many 'How to books on Writing.' When your first starting off you don't know about rules and how to books you just write. The fixing and fine tuning comes later. I will be the first to tell you that telling a good story is more important than getting it right. I hope this helps someone, who like me didn't know what writing was about and needed guidance and a hard dose of reality.
      The reality being that maybe writing isn't for you.  If you are a writer nothing will deter you. Sit down and write don't let anything stop you. Remember this is coming from an unconventional. unprofessional Author. Who is still learning, I just thought I share some advice I had gotten.

No comments:

Post a Comment