1 Feb 2015

The Art of Losing

So today was the end of the contest, that I mentioned in the last post. I didn't win, as you may have guessed from the title. I am not going to grumble about it, because being part of this contest was a great learning experience. I got some feedback which is great. It's mostly good, and that helped even more. I thought I would share it with you guys.



Judging Feedback Form
Five Enchanted Roses Contest
Title: Bleeding Roses

What Could Be Improved: The prologue didn’t feel entirely necessary—most of the information in it was conveyed in the scenes in the first chapter. You could probably just start there. It was a bit hard to sympathize with the Beast after he physically attacked the heroine. Belle seemed to change her feelings about him rather suddenly, just because of the story about his sister. Another incident or two, or a sense of time passing, would probably help.

What I Loved: The dialogue between Belle and the Beast was delightful—I especially liked that he had a sense of humor. The twist of Verda being Beth (and a villain) was great, and the build-up to the climax was page-turning. I enjoyed the bits of humor throughout (the conclusion was delightful).

Thank you so much for sharing this delightful story! I hope you continue to write—I so enjoyed reading the tale that came from your imagination.


So that was actually quite uplifting for me, and put me in a pretty good mood. A complete stranger enjoyed my writing. I love that she mentioned the prologue, because a few people told me to shave down my beginning, but I loved it and couldn't bring myself to cut it out, there is a lesson to be learned about cutting the scene you love the most or something, but I don't think I could ever do that. So it's wasted on me really.

Anyway the last time I lost a contest I got really down about it, and I am here to tell you that is the worse way to respond to rejection. Life is full of losing, you can't win at everything. Sometimes you can't win at anything and it's easy to feel sorry for yourself. I have first hand experience in this, but you have no reason, and I mean NO REASON to feel sorry for yourself. Life is going to beat you down and you only win if you fight back. 

This especially applies to writing, because anytime you do a contest or you query. Anything negative will feel like a personal attack, because your writing has you in it. This time I didn't take it that way, I actually went into this with the mind frame that  win or lose I would respond the same. I prayed, especially yesterday that God would help me combat my problem's with rejection. He did, and a good thing too, because there is no way I would have been able to do that on my own.

I guess what I am trying to say is losing can be just as beneficial as winning, if you can look at it from a different perspective.


 Oh in other news, I plan lengthening  my entry till it's about a full length novel and then I am going to publish it as an eBook on Amazon. There was a lot more to the story than I was able to put in. So I am very excited to start working on it.  

10 comments:

  1. I had a great time with the contest! I'm glad we're both able to take it with grace. I had a thought that it wasn't truly losing. They only had five places to fill, and ours weren't chosen, but if we learn something from it, it's not a loss. I can't wait to get my feedback, cause your's sounds great and helpful. I will buy your ebook!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you Maddie, I'm glad you didn't let it get you down. I hope you get your feedback soon. Awww Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I second what Maddie said--we did gain something from this contest even if we didn't win. :) I myself had a TON of fun writing my entry. (And, like you said, Skye, we now have the opportunity to expand our stories, right?) Let me know when you publish your ebook! That's so exciting!!
    Oh, and where did you get feedback from? A contest judge? I didn't know anyone received feedback...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I had tons of fun too, Are you planning on expanding yours? I will announce it on here, when I publish it. Anne Stengl sent me the feedback, I think it was from one of the judges. That is kind've odd if no one else got feedback, it might just take them a bit to send it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I will expand it...eventually. I have another project that I'd like to give my focus to first. :) But yes, one of these days I'd love to make my B&B story longer!
      Awesome! Looking forward to it!
      Oh, neat! I didn't get feedback last year, and I haven't received any this year (yet). Guess we'll see. :)

      Delete
    2. I would love to read it whenever you do that.
      I hope you get feedback soon.

      Delete
    3. Aw, thanks. ^_^
      Actually, I checked with Anne Elisabeth Stengl... Apparently only a few judges decided to give feedback (it wasn't a promised thing for any entrants) so only a select few received it. So that's nifty that you got to be one of them!

      Delete
    4. Really, that is pretty cool than, but kinda sad that not everyone got it.

      Delete
  5. That's so exciting that you're publishing your re-telling as an e-book! And congrats on submitting your story even if it didn't get chosen. I'm sure it's amazing. It would take a lot of courage from me to enter my writing in a contest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, aww you should do it anyway. I'm sure your writing is amazing. If your interested in reading my entry I could send it to you, but it's fine if you aren't. I know how hectic life can be.

      Delete