12 Feb 2015

Throwback Thursday

So Maddie does this thing, where she gives snippets of her old writing. Here's a link to one of her posts Throwback Thursday's

I thought this was a good idea, because it lets other see your progress and where you started. It's also funny and kind've embarrassing. So, I started writing seriously at age 11ish. The only thing I wrote before that was school essays, which I don't have. Most of what I wrote in that time period made up my first book. I finished that at fourteen, and started another story which is sitting pretty at 20,000 words. I do plan on finishing it, but different books have taken it's place right now. I also found I few folder's with a few paragraph's of other writing.
   Usually when I post snippets, I only post the best bit's but today I am going to post the good with the bad. I am already cringing.

It's been almost nine years since my dad was killed. Shot through the chest, at point blank range. You'd think that after so long the pain would have dulled, but seeing that at the ripe age of seven seems to make me unable to forget it.

I wrote this when I was eleven, I already seemed to have a love for drama and death, big surprise. This isn't the worst, but 'the ripe age' *cringe*. I don't know about you guys, but I totally starting singing 'Shot through the heart, and your too late...'

I could see my own blurred reflection in the polished glass. My wavy, brown hair framing my pale face, and dark expressionless eyes. I looked down at my faded Abercrombie & Fitch t-shirt that just reached my faded, denim jeans. I looked strangely out of place in this lavishly decorated castle. Even my worn tennis shoes stood out against the marble floor.

 This is from the same WIP I did this all the time, the worst mistake, having your character look in a mirror and describe themselves. I am also pretty sure I took the description of  what I thought I looked like at the time. I was never pale though. Such style, I am surprised I didn't end up being super preppy. Now I just wear whatever is comfortable topped with black.

       
 Brimstone launched toward the Shadow with a sudden burst of speed, his mouth agape. He released a swell of blue and red flame. It scorched the Shadow's face and set his black hair ablaze. The flames lit up his huge yellow eyes. He screeched in pain and frantically swatted his hair and face, but to no avail.
     He lost all control and fell off his beast. He spun as he fell screeching to the ground. - A Shadow of Doubt
I remember really liking this bit and for twelve I'd say it was great for an action scene.



The serpent lay cowering and hissing. Its eyes blinded by the light.
     "I sssurrender!" It hissed through its fangs. "Jussst make that cursssed light go out!"- A Shadow of Doubt
Yes I had a talking snake, Sycriss, that talks like that. It will haunt me for the rest of my life.



      

Twigdorwth eyes flamed. "He's not a pet and he has more brains then you have in your thick skull." He retorted wagging his bony finger at Eririon.- A Shadow of  Doubt
 My wizard, I ripped off Fenworth and Puddleglum more that I care to admit, but he transformed into his own character over time

















4 comments:

  1. This is fabulous!! I love the action scene! Oh golly, the dreaded mirror scene. I've got way too many of them too. I love this!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, yes the mirror I;m sure I thought I was being clever. Thanks for letting me use your idea, it was fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've seen Maddie's posts and I thought it was a fantastic idea. If only I actually wrote when I was younger. You're both such amazing writers! Reading your snippets, I actually really want to read the complete stories.

    -M
    The Life of Little Me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Maddie has been writing longer than me. Do you write now though, because now is what really counts. Thanks, that's nice of you to say, I mean talking snake. I'm glad you enjoyed it :)

      Delete