16 Mar 2015

Regrets

 Last year I was proud to say I had no regrets, I had turned twenty and I had done nothing that I regretted. In other word's I had survived the teenage years without losing my faith, dignity, or anything else. I was really happy about that, because nowadays less people seem to be able to say that.

Anyway, I found that I do in fact have some regrets. I regret decisions I made when I was far to young to know how it would impact me later. For example my parents gave me opportunities such as ballet lessons at five, piano lessons at eight, and singing lessons at twelve. My parents were never rich, but are the kind of parents that if their kids decided to do something they support you.

So I was watching some dance video's on YouTube and was thinking about how cool it would be to be able to dance like some of the amazing people who have been doing dance for twenty years. I then realized that if I had continued with dance, I would have fifteen years under my belt. Ballet is the foundation for most dances so I could've gotten in to Jazz an Hip Hop. Now here I am wondering why five year old me quit simply because it took time out of my otherwise uneventful day.

Then again at eight I was put into Piano lessons, and I did a full year because that was my Mom's requirement. I quit because I didn't want to practice. Which is sad, because I never did practice and my teacher said I was a natural. Starting again at eighteen I lost that natural ability, I have to practice. This one is less of a regret because I am now working on taking my level three exam next year. I can't help think if I hadn't stuck with it I could already be at teaching level.

Last of all singing lessons. I was in drama and school and we were doing musicals. I was convinced at this point in my life that I was meant to be an actress and singer, fueled by the Disney Chanel. I went to my first lesson and took my best friend which was a bad idea and I was scared to sing in front of her. A really dumb reason to stop.

I guess I just realized how important it is to dedicate yourself to things and follow through. I am really just sorry for all of the opportunities that God sent my way that I passed up because it was too much work.  
   
   

10 comments:

  1. I know how you feel. I started playing guitar a few years ago when I was twenty. But I have always wanted to learn to play, all my life. I ask myself all the time why I didn't say something about it sooner. And I know the reason is because I was too shy. I was too shy to even ask my own parents if I could have lessons! That and sometimes my mom would say I would only want to do something because somebody else was (I never did have this feeling so I don't know why she used to think that). And I always afraid that she would say that, so I never brought it up. But when I see people who've been playing guitar since they were a kid, or even just since they were seventeen, I can't help wishing that I had started earlier. I could be as good as them, or at least close.

    Also when I was little, I always wanted to donate my hair to Locks of Love. But again, I was too shy to say anything. I've done it twice now, though. I guess since I'm older, I feel more independent or something. . . To be honest though, that same fear and shyness does still hold me back. From asking people to teach me something they know. Or from just talking to people in general.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad someone can relate. It always sucks thinking what might have been :(
      At least you play now, but I know it's not the same. I hate it when my mom thinks I want to so something because of someone else, and even if I did what is wrong with getting inspiration from someone anyway. I can relate to being shy, I am usually a reserved person until you know me.
      I'm sorry that shyness holds you back, I think we all have things that keep us from doing what we want. Mine is insecurity. It's nice having someone understand :)

      Delete
  2. Ugh I know!! Back in the day my dad was always trying to sign me up for tennis and netball and all that, and only now do I wish I had learned these sports earlier. I could be a pro by now, or at least I wouldn't be such a newbie. But no, the stubborn little me just wanted to watch Disney Channel all day...

    -M
    The Life of Little Me

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate it that my parent's are almost always right. Glad I'm not the only one with wasted opportunities :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know exactly how you feel. I took ballet for one year when I was like....7? 9? I'm not sure. But same deal, I didn't like taking time out of my lazy day to go to lessons. :P Ah, well.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You live and you learn, right :) Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  5. I'm also a singer. For me, I can't order my lunch if I'm alone because it scares me. I get feelings of panic but I can get up and sing in front of four hundred no problem. I guess it's all about comfort zone, right? When it comes to singing, I feel like it's home. I don't think you should let your fears stop you from doing what you want!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're a singer, cool. I sing a lot, but only at home and with friends. I have gotten a lot more confident about it. I get a bit of anxiety over things like that too. Ordering can be nerve racking :) That's awesome that you have that ability, I would get stage fright. Absolutely, fear should never stop anybody. :) Thank's for stopping by.

      Delete
  6. This has happened to me several times in my life. I often wonder why I didn't master the art of studying and not procrastinating. Why I never did my math homework as a kid, why I still, do not practice my piano and writing skills that I have. Thank you for sharing this post. It makes me want to work harder and stick with things even when they're hard. You rock Skye, and good luck with piano. (-:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Procrastination is a big problem with me too. I know, I keep coming across more wasted opportunities. It's awful to think about sometimes. Writing and piano are some of the things I procrastinate about the most. So I understand :P
      I'm glad it inspired you, I was worried people would think I was whining or something. Thanks! and right back at you :D

      Delete