11 Jan 2016

Beautiful People #14 Something about Writing and Resolutions

I feel kinda late to this party for some reason. My blog feed was all Beautiful People, not that I'm complaining I love it, but you all made me feel bad for procrastinating. So here are my much anticipated answers... cough.







So this is a linkup hosted by the world dominating Cait 


and the equally as amazing, marvel loving Sky


1. What were your writing achievements last year?

Well this is...


 I blanked... ummm I did a 20,000 word contest entry, and blog posts and not much else. *hides under blanket*


2.  Tell us about your top priority writing project for this year?

Ummm


It's those stupid eyes, 'Bleeding Roses.' ( I hope you are happy William)

3. List 5 areas you’d like to work the hardest to improve this year.

Just five.

1. Editing ( It's my greatest weakness)

2. Rewritng (Something I never seem to do)

3. Writing (Something I talk about more than I do)

4.  World Building (I think I need to start creating more depth)

5. Query ( Actively try to get published)


4. Are you participating in any writing challenges?

At the moment no, but you never know. 


5. What’s your critique partner/beta reader situation like and do you have plans to expand this year?

I had about eight or nine beta readers last year, but besides two of them. I'm not sure how many of them would be willing to read for me again. I am thinking of adding a book page to this blog, and letting whoever want's to read, whatever I'm working on. So I guess, I do plan on expanding. As for critique partners, shout out to Jocelyn, Tracey Dyck, Ashely G,
 They all edited for me, and made beautiful comments, that made me feel amazing. All of my beta readers were amazing, but these three went above and beyond.

Jocelyn- All those late night Skype conversations about our characters. I will never forget them, especially the one when we decided that William was such a drama queen, that 'Tik Tok' should play whenever he walks in a room.

Tracey- You are so sweet! You put me at ease about the contest, and boosted my confidence. You also did a line edit, a line edit! Still don't know how to thank you hopefully I can repay the favor.

Ashely- I had the biggest smile every time I read one of your emails. Your fangirling about Aden, was the best. You also gave me great editing advice that made my story feel complete and done, plus you gave me that killer idea for the end.

6. Do you have plans to read any writer-related books this year? Or are there specific books you want to read for research

Not really, but I do want to read a few marketing books.

7. Pick one character you want to get to know better, and how are you going to achieve this?

It's a toss up between these two

His name is Peter, he is a vampire, and Dracula's grandson.

or

Walter, a sarcastic zombie.

 8. Do you plan to edit or query, and what’s your plan of attack?

I will do all the things, and attack everything.


9. Toni Morrison once said, “If there’s a book that you want to read, but it hasn’t been written yet, then you must write it.”  What are the books that you want to see more of, and what “holes” do you think need filling in the literary world?

I think we need more clean fantasy novels or just any genre really. I read a lot of great books this year, that we're well written, with amazing characters. Yet, there were things that made me not like them. Language and other content, that was way out of my comfort zone. I was actually surprised at what is considered okay now for teens to read. I'm 21 guys and I still hide behind pillows when people kiss on T.V. For books I just skip pages. I guess I will have to get writing to fill that void.

10. What do you hope to have achieved by the end of 2016?

EVERYTHING!

Seriously though that would be nice. I would love to have a book deal, and at least five completed books to query, and a published eBook. We will see.

 



 




  

27 comments:

  1. If you're late for the party, then I am too. I did this edition of BP today as well! :D We're just walking into the party together fashionably late, like the fabulous people we are. *nods, nods*

    Writing a 20k novella and entering a big contest is a HUGE accomplishment! Entering a contest like that is a really big deal. Plus all the blogging! Don't you dare hide under that blanket. You did awesomely!

    Editing, world building, and querying (or at least looking in to querying) are the big areas of improvement I want to work on this year as well! Such overwhelming things, aren't they? But we can do this! *fistpump*

    Wait. Peter is Dracula's GRANDSON?? He just gets better and better! XDDD And you gotta love Walter.

    Yes to EVERYTHING you said in #9. I soooo so SO wish we had more clean fiction, especially in the YA section. I mean, WHY are these authors making such bad material for TEENS?? Ugh. It drives me crazy.
    Yes, write your fabulous, clean stories. The world needs them! ^_^

    I hope you have an absolutely wonderful writing year! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fashionably late because we are fabulous. Thanks for making me smile.

      *Peaks out from Blanket* Really!

      Very overwhelming, I'm already crying to myself. Why are you trying to do so much. We shall do it!

      *Evil grin* Yes, yes he is. Can't wait to get writing both of their stories.

      It's the worst thing about buying books. I'm always like, this looks good, but then later I throw it across the room.

      You too! <3

      Delete
  2. LOVE that Sherlock gif!

    Bleeding Roses, yeah! I'm happy about it, even if William refuses to show it.

    I am definitely willing to continue beta reading for you! Your writing is awesome! And I'm glad to be of help. *polishes nails on shirt and smirks* Yeah, I'm just good like that. ;)

    And I'm so glad the GOBLIN KING had a hand in the end!

    Ahem. *composes self*

    Worldbuilding is a ton of fun once you get into it. At first, I'm always like "where do I start?" But once I get started, one thing follows another and then after a while it's like "Look at the CULTURE I have created!"

    Yes! I agree with you so much about clean stories. I've put a lot of books down with sexual content in them this year. Usually, I'll skip over it, but after a while I just get sick of reading it. And it makes me disappointed in the characters, honestly. It's really sad that stuff like this is considered okay in today's society. It's like people think a book has to have bad content to be a good story or have a good plot. That is far from true. It makes me frustrated and angry. And I might thief away your answer to this question. Yeah, I haven't done the link up yet either. . . D:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, Sherlock is amazing.

      I really want to finish it this year, he is somewhat thrilled.

      Cool, that would be awesome. Thank you so much, and yes you are, quite good.

      It worked out ten times better that way. I like giving him more of a part.

      I hope so, I find it daunting, but I think I will enjoy certain aspects.

      It so frustrating, especially when I love most of the book, and then they muck it up. I didn't know it was possible but yes you get disappointed in the characters, it's like I expected more from you. Yes, it seems like in order to have a bestseller there has to be a sex scene. Which isn't how, it works, but you would think that based off of all the popular books. Thief away, maybe someone will do something.

      Delete
    2. AGH! Yes, the book is just perfect in most every way and just when I think it's amazing, then. . . then. Why in the world would do that to a perfectly good story?! Meh.

      By the way, I tagged you for the Dragon Loyalty Award if you want to do it.

      http://ashleyg-inserttitlehere.blogspot.com/2016/01/dragon-loyalty-award-my-inner-dragon.html#comment-form

      Delete
    3. It's horrible.

      Thanks! I'm even more excited because Dragons!

      Delete
  3. Oh my goodness, have you ever got wonderful plans for the year! Editing, world building, querying...! It's so nice to know I'm not the only one looking into querying this year. :)

    *bear hug* YOU ARE THE SWEETEST AND YOU MAKE ME SMILE.

    Clean YA, yes please! There's far too few clean reads. I agree with the above comments--it's so disappointing to find icky content in an otherwise good story. (This is why I am a super cautious book buyer. Tons of novels catch my eye, but I don't buy any unless I'm sure it's good. I've been burned before. XD)

    All the best with your writing pursuits this year, Skye! <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. #9 #9 #9 (okay, maybe I'm no saint in the violence department myself, but AT LEAST I THINK ABOUT IT OKAY)
    But in all seriousness, I agree completely. I read a lot of books - whether I want to read them, need to read them, or have to read them for work, and this is an epidemic. And I don't hide at the "kissing parts" in movies, I fast-forward them! And while over the top sexual content is easily skipped in movies, and often in novels, pervasive foul language is a lot harder to escape. It's frustrating.

    *Rant over*

    These are some great goals here, and I wish you the best! Editing is sort of my bane too (as you know from reading my BP). And I think we've all had those times when we did more talking about writing than actual writing, lol. But you can do it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rant away! I think this is a serious issue that needs to be addressed. I'm glad I'm not the only one who has been getting mad about this.

      Thanks!

      It's a writing thing, I'm sure.

      Delete
  5. I am half lost reading this post, what party? Haha it is interesting though! Cute blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is pretty confusing, um I'm a writer. It was basically an example of what trying to write. Thanks!

      Delete
  6. Wow, Skye! Those are some impressive goals for the coming year! It's so great that you have awesome beta readers and writer friends. There is nothing like having someone fangirl over your own book darlings. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, but there only impressive if I keep them :)
      It's really nice, and they keep me writing. The fangirling helps too.

      Delete
  7. Just the gifs and descriptions of those characters makes me want to read about them, lol. They sound wicked awesome.

    And yes! I totally agree about more clean fiction. It would be really nice if that could become a thing.


    Alexa
    thessalexa.blogspot.com
    verbositybookreviews.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!

      I hope it becomes the new trend or something.

      Delete
  8. Good luck with all your goals this year, Skye! Your characters sound really neat :) And I know what it's like to procrastinate, lol.

    Ally @ The Scribbling Sprite

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! he he, I'm procrastinating right now.

      Delete
  9. Haha, I hadn't noticed that YA was becoming more "adult", so to speak. I suppose everyone just have different teen experiences so go out there and share yours :) Your characters sound super interesting!

    PS: Commenting on mobile right now and *whispers* you might want to double check the mobile design? The black words on the blue background are a teensy hard to read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe I'm just sensitive. Thank you :D

      I will have to check that out, thanks for bringing it to my attention.

      Delete
  10. Ahhh, your beta readers sound SO awesome. :D I'm going to ask for beta readers in a couple months and I'm just hoping that mine will be as awesome as yours. That's got to be super encouraging. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are awesome. :) I would be up to reading for you, I hope you find some really great readers, it really builds your confidence as a writer.

      Delete
  11. Ooh, those are HUGE goals for this year! GO SKYE. YOU CAN DO THIS!!! And editing, omg, I'm joining you with the editing....gah. I seriously need to just stop coming out with all these new halfbaked drafts and actually tidy stuff up. XD Ahem.

    And I am LOVING the sound of this sarcastic zombie. Also the fact that his face is Dylan O'Brien. <3

    It sounds like you have the nicest critique partners of EVERRRRR. Omg, that's so nice!!

    Thanks for joining in, Skye, and good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are rather big, I'm already rethinking them, especially the editing. I have tons of t.v to binge on.

      Yay, nothing beats a sarcastic zombie, except maybe Dylan O'Brien

      They are the best!

      Sure thing, and thanks!

      Delete
  12. Fabulous!! Sounds like some great goals and plans for the upcoming year. I wish you luck.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Writing is hard. Anyone who disagrees needs a frying pan to the head. But at least you got words on paper this last year. Maybe they weren't a lot, but they were more words than you had the year before. Never forget that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is! I agree frying pans have a way of helping you get your point across.
      Thanks I needed to hear that.

      Delete