9 May 2016

Brothers in Arms- Book Tour

I almost forgot to do this, I know it's so typical of me. I am glad I remembered, at the last possible second of course. I am happy to announce that I am part of the Blog Tour for Brothers in Arms.

A book written by the ever amazing Jack. I recommend following her, at once. She describes herself better than I could, but I can tell you she is a wonderful person.



Author Bio
Jack is one of those strange people who calls herself an Author. She spends a lot of her time writing and even less time editing. She likes to write about friendships which is partly how Brothers-in-Arms came to be. More than ten years in the making, this is the book she dreaded the most writing, but which also has the most meaning for her.
 When Jack isn't writing, which doesn't happen too often, she keeps busy with various other hobbies – such as reading, playing the bagpipes to the dread of her neighbors, and drinking tea – which might not be considered a hobby by most but which should be.
 She lives in a cabin in the woods with her dog and a library which isn't quite equal to Prince Adam's but will be given enough time and a secret doorway.

Contact Info




Blog 





 I am so excited for this book! I have read snippets on Jack's blog and all of them have been fantastic. Some of you might remember the Cover reveal of this book.

To celebrate its release Jack is having a giveaway on her blog and of course the blog tour. For my part in this, I opted for a character interview with  Franz and Japhet. I thought it would be fun to get into the characters head a bit.


Character Interview

  1.Where and when were you born?
 
Franz: We were both born in a small town in Germany. It was really quiet and sometimes felt as if it were away from the rest of the world. It was a nice place to grow up, at least for a while. Not so nice when we got older.
Japhet: Franz was born in 1923 and I was born in 1924. We met when we were eight and seven and we became friends because we both had too many sisters and no brothers.

2. As a child, what did you want to be when you grew up?
 
Franz: I never really decided. I spent the first bit of my childhood enjoying being a child. And then everything happened with the war and everything the Nazis did to the Jews. I had to grow up fast then. I didn't think more about what I wanted to do, other than survive the war. Though, maybe if things had been normal, I'd have become an inventor.
Japhet: Even before I knew it, I think I always wanted to be an artist. I drew since the day I could hold a pencil. It annoyed Franz...
Franz: Only when you'd sit and draw while I still had homework to do. You could have at least shown empathy and suffered with me.

3.What is your earliest memory?
 
Franz: My sisters dressing me up in one of their nightgowns and putting me in their baby carriage. And if you think I remember that because I have an incredible memory...it isn't that. It's because I was three when they did it.
Japhet: I don't really know. Something about my dad taking me to the park. I don't remember details, just him swinging with me.

 4.Who has had the most influence on you?
 
Both: Our dads

5. What is your greatest regret?
 
Franz: That one is easy...joining the Nazis. (No details. You have to read the book for that.)
Japhet: Something kind of the same for me. Joining the resistance.

6.What is your best memory?
 
Both: Summers before everything changed. Playing in the field near our homes, riding our bikes. Being boys while we had the chance.

7. If you could change one thing from your past, what would it be, and why?
 
Franz: I think that is easy. I'd have tried to leave Germany sooner.
Japhet: I would want the same. Also I wouldn't have kept to myself so much. I would have tried to accept help when it was given me.

8. Are you basically optimistic or pessimistic?
 
Franz: I'm probably optimistic.
Japhet: Pessimistic

 9. Do you have any biases or prejudices?
 
Franz: Well, I don't have any against the Jews. Can I be prejudice against Stein?
Japhet: I want to be prejudice against him too!

10. Are you able to kill? Under what circumstances do you find killing to be acceptable or unacceptable?
 
Franz: I don't think it would be easy, but if it meant keeping Japhet alive I would kill.
Japhet: I don't think I could kill another man.
(Author inserted note. For the sake of spoilers, this question would be answered by a younger Franz and Japhet. When you read the book it will make more sense. But just say these are the Part One Franz and Japhet.)


I like them already, and now I am super curious about how their story unfolds. Be sure to add this one to your TBR list.





Release Date: May 31st

Synopsis
Can a Jew and a Nazi survive Hitler's Germany?

Franz Kappel and Japhet Buchanan never expected their friendship to be tested by the Third Reich. Friends from early childhood, the boys form an inseparable, brotherly bond. Growing up in a little German village, they escape most of the struggles of war until the day Japhet is banished from school for being a Jew, and later has a rib broken when other village boys beat him up. Franz learns he is putting himself in danger for spending so much time with Japhet but continues to stand up for his Jewish friend even at the risk to himself. Then one day their lives are shattered when they see first-hand that the price of being a Jew is dangerously high. 

With the war now on their doorsteps, Franz and Japhet come up with a desperate plan to save their families and get them out of Germany alive. Leaving behind the lives they've always known, they move into Berlin with nothing to protect them but forged papers and each other. Convinced their friendship can keep them going, the boys try and make a new life for themselves while trying to keep their true identities and Japhet's heritage a secret. Taking his best friend's safety upon himself, Franz joins the Nazis in an attempt to get valuable information. At the same time, Japhet joins the Jewish Resistance, neither friend telling the other of their new occupations.

With everyone in their world telling them a Nazi and a Jew can't be friends, it is only a matter of time before they believe all the lies themselves, until neither is certain if they are fighting against a race of people or fighting for their homeland. Somehow they have to survive the horrors of World War II, even when all of Germany seems to be against them.


16 comments:

  1. Whoop! *leaps in air* I can't wait for this! Awesome character interview! This book though. It's going to be great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me either! :D their pretty awesome those two. I think so too!

      Delete
  2. I love how Franz's and Japhet's (and Jack's) personalities shine through in this interview. Superb questions, Skye!
    Wonderful book, lotsa pain and feels. :) Haha, I love question #9.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know they are all so brilliant!
      Thanks :D
      Can't wait to read it. They're funny.

      Delete
  3. Great questions! I love the "Are you pessimistic or optimistic" one... Maybe that's something I should ask my own characters. I'm looking forward to holding this book in my hands!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! That's always my favorite to answer about my own characters, you should.
      Me too!

      Delete
  4. Great questions, Skye! I like getting into the characters' heads this way. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Character interviews are my favorite thing.

      Delete
  5. Thanks so much for letting me stop by, Skye! I had fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for coming! Me too, can't wait to read it!

      Delete
  6. Wow, this seems intense and exciting! Congrats to Jack for the book's release! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everything Jack does is intense and exciting. :D

      Delete
  7. This looks fascinating! I love WWII stories, and this one looks particularly interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This book sounds INCREDIBLE and I'm very intrigued!! I'll have to go check out Jack's blog now. X)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right, so am I. Do she has a great blog.

      Delete