28 Feb 2017

Quality over Quantitiy


 Stumbling back into the blog sphere like.




 I have been doing a lot of re-evaluating this month.
Sorting, organizing, and discarding.

Not just with physical stuff, but with everything really. The hardest thing for me to sort through is all of my digital clutter.
Word documents, pictures, videos, social media things, it's ridiculous.

I have a tendency to just open a word doc and write something for a book down, fail to label it and put it in some obscure file. The result is a scattered puzzle piece effect, where I have to search for different parts of my books, and then try to piece them together. (why do you do this to yourself)

Another one of my weird habits, is to plan a photo shoot take over 200 hundred shots, with only 20 of those being good. Then I fail to delete the bad ones and Photoshop the good ones. (this makes me crazy)

Or filling folders of book ideas, and picture ideas but failing to execute them.

These are the habits I am trying to change, along with writing or editing a book getting about a paragraph done, and then rewarding myself  with five episodes of whatever I'm watching at the moment.

I know this makes me sound like a scattered brained procrastinator, which is true but I am also a perfectionist. So you can see what kind of pain I cause myself on a daily basis.

My perfectionist side tries to balance all this out, by making lists, organizing, and adding more projects to the mess.

My perfectionist side has me writing more than three books at once.

Reading more than five books at once.

My perfectionist side is only happy if I am doing anything and everything, and that all of these things are done flawlessly.  


So in reality, nothing gets done, I get depressed. My lists and things to do just get bigger and more impossible.


I am cutting the fat.

I can't do everything at once, I can't be everything at once.

I can allow myself rest.

I can allow myself to do one thing at a time.

I need to allow myself to celebrate one accomplishment, before diving into the next.

I'd rather have one good book, then twenty bad ones. Quality is better than quantity. I want to be invested in what I do. I want to live with purpose.


So this was more of a note to self, but I digress.
My internet has been terrible, so I just sit at the computer, shouting.








 






10 comments:

  1. Okay, first, that gif. Perfection. But second...

    THIS. POST.
    JUST
    :O

    THIS IS ME. EVERY BIT OF IT. THIS IS MY BRAIN AND MY FEELINGS RIGHT NOW AND WUT. I am absolutely 100% a perfectionist, but I'm scatter-brained. The two together make for a VERY stressed Christine. I can't BE perfect, and it drives me crazy. #PerfectionistProbs I'm just a mess with eeeeverything. And I put too much pressure on myself and feel the need to get alllll the things done and and and... *collapses* It's bad to be this way as well as a perfectionist.

    I LOVE your conclusion that quality is better than quantity. That's something I forget...a lot. I just need to focus on one or two things and DO them, instead of stressing over the thousands of little things.

    I needed to see this today. Thank you, Skye! Here's to finding balance and living with purpose!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it too, he has the best gifs!

      *impossibly big smile* cuz Christine's comments are always the best.

      It's the most stressful thing to be at war with yourself all the time. It drives me batty, I'm so glad you understand, everybody usually looks at me like I'm insane when I try to explain it.

      It's so easy to forget, heck I will probably forget in a week. I tend to just let everything overwhelm me, so I am usually buried in stuff.

      ;) I'm glad it helped. Hear Hear!

      Delete
  2. this is a beautiful idea. last year I read like, 60 books. but only a handful were good. this year I've barely read anything, but I also realized the stuff I was reading has been good. so Im starting to accept that.
    definitely quality over quantity.
    thank you for sharing <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Faith! I did something like that last year too, I was trying to complete a reading challenge, but I didn't like most of the books I was reading.
      thanks for reading <3

      Delete
  3. I'm really feeling this whole post lately <3 Thank you for sharing with us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always think I'm alone with these things, it's nice to know there are other people dealing with it.
      No problem <3

      Delete
  4. This post resonated with me on so. many. levels, Skye. Seriously. I'm going through a similar time with school, blogging, writing, and reading, so... dude, I can relate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you could relate :)
      Life can be so overwhelming at times.

      Delete
  5. That first gif. So relatable.
    I do that thing with the book ideas and word docs too. I'm currently compiling all of the first book in the Oddball trilogy and going crazy because I'm taking scenes from five different word docs to make this one book. And none of the scenes are in order!

    So yeah, it's a good idea to get organized and such. XD

    Quality is always better. I definitely agree.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right
      It's so frustrating and basically self destructive, why do we do this to ourselves.

      It's so hard.

      Yup.

      Delete